I am very honored to have been given the opportunity to represent the students of optometry as the president for the UW Canadian Association of Optometry Students (CAOS) chapter for the 2017-2018 school year. I am very passionate about the profession of Optometry and strongly believe that all students should get involved in their profession as early as possible. Whether that’s through networking with experts in the field, advocating, community outreach, or simply educating others about the importance of Eyecare. I am confident that through CAOS, we will bring many such opportunities to you, so that you can make the most out of your professional education and smoothly transition from student to optometrist.
Through this position, I plan on working closely with the rest of the executive team so that we can help promote the profession and bring these opportunities to you. My vision is that CAOS will empower students to get involved by offering a multitude of resources that can be used to aid them through their optometric education as well as resort to for voicing any concerns.
We currently have numerous projects underway to help you become the best optometrist possible. However, some specific goals that I hope to accomplish this year include:
- Continue offering the programs and services that CAOS has been offering in the past which include several clinical and professional lectures from experts in the profession, community initiatives like ICare Eyecare and connecting optometry students with ODs through unique opportunities like our mentorship program.
- Work towards growing all our programs by increasing support from doctors through representing the student voice at CAO Congress 2017 in Ottawa!
- Expand our current ICare Eyecare community outreach program by providing additional services as well as catering to members of the community outside of the University of Waterloo.
- Work closely with the University of Montreal and US CAOS chapters to bring them many of the benefits (ie. lecture series, mentorship) that students at UW enjoy and partake in. This will allow us to unite all Canadian Optometry Students.
- Launch our new CAOS Doctor Connect Program, where 3rd and 4th year students will have the opportunity to sign up with an Optometrist who will serve as their mentor and connect with them via email to impart their wisdom.
- Educate students about the current challenges that face the profession and what we are doing to tackle them, as well as voicing student concerns to the national and provincial associations through representation at the Optometry Leader’s Forum.
- Make it easier for all students to become a CAOS member by launching a completely online registration system.
- Establish additional perks for CAOS members including special rates for purchasing professional clinic attire.
- Officially launch our new CAOS YouTube Channel, in the hope to increase public awareness for the role of an optometrist as a primary health care provider, while removing any stigmas that are present today towards this profession.
As part of this role, I vow to work for all students of Optometry, so that you may grasp the most out of our education. CAOS is an organization that is working for you, and I highly encourage you to go through our website and take part in as many programs and events that we offer. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions for CAOS, or would just like to chat, please do not hesitate to contact me.
CAOS President 2017-2018
I am honoured to have the privilege to represent Canadian optometry students as the CAOS president-elect. I am so excited about the future of vision care. I’m passionate about pushing the boundaries of Optometry and everything it has to offer. Optometry has so many faces and possibilities – whether it be clinical, research, or professional development. I want to help students explore and navigate their dreams in vision care. Through CAOS, my mission is to give students the tools and resources to accomplish these dreams.
In the coming year, I will be working closely with the executive team to bring even more resources to connect you with your goals.
- Offer learning opportunities through lectures that showcase unique perspectives of the different focuses of Optometry both professionally and clinically
- Connect doctors and students to establish meaningful relationships. Our mentorship program allows a platform for doctors to share their genuine experiences in a more intimate setting.
- Establish student concerns and represent the student voice at Optometry’s Leaders Forum
- Support the growth of Canadian students in Montreal and the US by providing tangible resources to their chapters
- Educate the public on the importance of vision health by focusing on the unique needs of different populations and adjusting material accordingly
- Connect students with their ideal job opportunities and doctors with seasoned candidates by further improving on our annual Interview Day
Warmest welcomes to our website. Please browse through our resources to find the programs and events that fit your needs. Should you have any inquiries, or if you would just like to chat, please feel free to contact me!